Thursday, April 14, 2005

On the Road Again


Today Z and I worked on the farm for half a day. I spent the rest of the day hitchhiking to Makawao (pronounced mock-a-wow) with Steffi. The thing about hitching is you never know what kind of characters will pick you up.

Our first ride took us all the way to Makawao. He was spacey pick-up driving dealer making his daily runs and conducting business on his cell, employing his oh-so-discreet phone lingo like “do you still want me to pick you up some of that stuff???”

A real character.

We arrived safely and went along our merry way to Steffi’s weekly appointment with the town’s herbal medicine man. He has a quaint shop with all kinds of homeopathic remedies – oils, herbs, etc. It's amazing how many different cures there are for all kinds of ailments. I spent a considerable amount of time simply perusing the various concoctions - including something called "Lung Soup." ???

We stopped on the way back for some carob flavored “Rice Dream” (rice milk ice cream substitute). Good stuff, although Myra has warned both Steffi and I that our already prominent Vata is irritated by cold foods and sugar, but what the hell...we felt like throwing caution to the wind. Life in the fast lane (KAG).

While we were gone Z was stuck here on the farm busily attempting to finish a website he is building for one of Myra’s students. We’ll see how that goes. I think he will be happy to be done with it as he seems to have over-committed himself once again.



On the plus side – we did get to enjoy a papaya from the front yard the size of Z’s head with lunch. Have you ever seen anything like it??

5 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Well, you look quite fetching as you stick out your thumb and hope for a ride from someone who will get you where you want to go in one piece!

We flew to Cairns this morning and are now in Port Douglas having finished a lovely lunch of bruchetta and pizza. Jenn and Dad shared a mango daiquiri while I was satisfied with my small soda. It is a lovely location - reminds me much of the Caribbean without the music. We are off on a catamaran tomorrow to view the reef. It should be lovely. We have a jacuzzi in our room - but I am going to have to turn the heat on in it for it to be really a draw. Our room here is more like a small efficiency apt. with a small kitchen. We'll stop at the market and pick up some things for breakfast before we leave for our excursion. All the comforts of home and then some. You look fantastic - and it looks as tho Zach's hair is all grown in, too. No worries, he still is a handsome son of a gun!!! Keep writing - reading your blog cheers me up immensly. Love and kisses!!!

8:39 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

E- You are the bravest person i know. I very much enjoy hearing about your gall bladder and number twos. Keep it coming, it makes me miss atlanta and our rocking times together.
I am sorry you felt so crummy, but if it makes you feel any better, i am sure you have a far sexier gall bladder than i at the moment. I know this because my small intestine keeps wanting to ask it out. I explained the incestual nature of this request, but apparently that means nothing to internal organs. I don't know, i think we might have to take him to some sort of therapy. Needless to say, we are all a bit confused.
As the blog above mine (or below mine, i am not quite sure) says, we are going to visit nemo and his friends tomorrow on the great barrier reef. I'll say hi to sheila and everyone- ESSSSCAPAAAY! I miss you terribly. Have an amazing time in the various countries you are visiting, but make sure to put in a good word for me with your hostess, as hers sounds the most appealing place to work at. I LOVE YOU BOTH SOOO MUCH!!!!

8:58 PM  
Blogger ninar said...

what does it mean that your vata is prominent? i'm dying to know....

11:58 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

I finally figured out how to do this. I am tickled that you have had such a good time in Maui. The purging leaves me a little ambivalent. How much weight did you lose doing this. You cannot afford to lose much. You have also inspired Jenny, at least as far as the farming aspect. Hopefully, she will leave her pea like stones alone.
They are off observing flora and fauna. I took a pass. A fish is still a fish. I hope that you have a great trip to Thailand. From what Jenny has told us, I cannot imagine why you are going.
I think that you probably spent too much time with the Feins when you were growing up. Hot, and muggy, they would love it.
Have a great time. Avoid the birds {flue}, and come home safe. I love you guys.
Dad
Funny, Zack never spent that much time with the Feins.

5:57 PM  
Blogger erin said...

Um...a clarification seems to be necessary. There was NO purging whatsoever involved with the apple juice fiasco.

No lost weight - the apple juice was in addition to my normal diet.

Thanks for the happy thoughts though!

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home